Sunday, April 21, 2013

Wish I Had a Storm Warning

Do you remember the first time you heard the story about Jesus in the boat? How the storm raged all around the disciples and they cried out in fear? 





He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, 
"Quiet! Be still!" Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. 
He said to his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?" ~ Mark 4:39-40

Now, the first time I heard this story, I was maybe eight years old in vacation bible school at good old Good Shepherd. The teacher phrased things a little differently. The message I received loud and clear was, 'You have nothing to be afraid of because Jesus is with you.' I remember we used watercolor paints to paint in these little plastic rainbow shaped sun catchers. It stuck with me then. At the time, it meant: 'Okay, when I'm scared in my bed at night, all I have to remember is Jesus is with me. I have nothing to fear if Jesus is with me.' That mentality did chase away many a Boogieman in my childhood. 

Storms are different now. Your storms change over time. As you pass from one phase to the next, the previous storms don't seem so serious. For me, becoming a parent threw myself and my husband into full fledged hurricane season. So many new battles and fears and all on a lot less sleep than we used to get! You ever try reasoning with a wailing five month old who refuses to nap longer than 30 minutes? Doesn't work. 

There were moments when I said, "That's it! I give up! I can't do this!" But every time, He pulled me back again. Sighing, shaking His head and saying, "Oh, you." and loving me nonetheless. Coming to my rescue again and again, even when it seemed like He jumped ship. Even when it looked like I had forsaken Him, he hadn't forsaken me. He would rise, tell the wind to be quiet, be still. I'd settle my hormonal butt down, take a breath and get back on track. 

Prior to parenthood, I didn't put a whole lot of stock in spiritual attack. That was before we were a lot more vulnerable. That was before we had a hell of a lot more to lose. The first year of our little girl's life often felt like a tug-of-war in our home. All too may times, we gave in to frustration, pounded the floor and demanded why God had forsaken us in the storm. He hadn't. He just knew we had to weather it for a while. 

My mother-in-law recently reminded me of the story about Jesus calming the storm. We talked at length about storms, how they impact our lives and how easy it is to forget that Jesus is still in the boat- even when we think he isn't. Faith. We must keep faith. He isn't going to let us drown. Eventually, when the time is right, He will calm the storm. 

What storms have you been facing lately? Has it seemed like you were all alone in the boat? Have the storms seemed too frequent? Too brutal? It's easy to have faith and joy when the sun shines and the waves are cheerful. And I know that not long after I hit 'publish' something new will arise to toss me back into that churning sea of 'Are you kidding me!? Come on already!' I just have to remember that He is still there, in the boat. He is with me. He is with us all. 


St. Paul's Episcopal~ Grace Street in Richmond, Virginia!



No comments:

Post a Comment