Wednesday, April 17, 2013

In The Words of Kelly Clarkson, "Baby Don't Rush..."

Slapdash. 

That's how I'd describe a majority of my crafting endeavors over the course of my life. I never really plotted things out. Always in a hurry- not out of rushing, but out of excitement. Who has time to pay attention to detail when there's such a great product to be had? The end result? Nine times out of ten, something with visibly poor workmanship. 

Anything worth doing, is worth doing right. My grandfather owned a dress company from the 1940's until 1969. I now have a few of the vintage dresses he manufactured. When I look at the seams and stitches I see quality, precision and care. When I look at my early attempts at sewing reproduction Civil War dresses I see shortcuts, uneven lines and a multitude of careless imperfections. 


Do you take the time to iron a straight crease in the fabric before hemming in your personal life? 

When you notice the pieces cut from patterns are not matching up, do you say, "Ah, whatever. Close enough." and barrel on through?

Would you rather stitch quickly or stitch correctly?

When we take the time to ensure care is being given, the end result is usually something that fits. Something that not only looks right, but feels right. Be it a relationship with someone close, your connection to God, a personal goal or your profession- slowing down and doing things right makes all the difference. Communication and thoughtfulness are essential tools to a peaceable living. 

How has the quality of your workmanship been lately?

 Commit thy works unto the Lord, and thy thoughts shall be established. ~Proverbs 16:3

No comments:

Post a Comment